11 July 2012

The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton

The Man Who Was Thursday is a very interesting novella.  I have not read one that is quite like it.  Here is the rub: if I say too much, I spoil the strategy and novelty that Chesterton has employed to make for an interesting and thought-provoking story.

I suppose it is safe enough to say that Gabriel Syme, a poet, is introduced to a dangerous and clandestine organisation operating in London and Europe.  The more he becomes entangled with the members of this group, the weirder and more dangerous become the events that entangle his life.

Chesterton moves the action rapidly from basements to backstreets, from coffee shops to vacant fields, with a deft hand.  The action rises surely and steadily, culminating in a hectic climax.  This is followed by an unsettling denouement in which Chesterton's devices are fully revealed.

I am glad I read this story.  Of course, the ending won't appeal to everyone; but if you are looking for a short, fast-paced thriller with a difference, here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment